The need for design quality
We believe in a readily-understood governance model for Pega's Cosmos design system so that there is an efficient and effective process to consistently produce high-quality product design work.
Overview of the model
The Design Quality group is comprised of the Design Ops team, design system owners, and a federated group of contributors from across the Pega product organization.
The Design Ops team maintains the day-to-day operations of the system as a permanent part of their job. It is their responsibility to establish and monitor a consistent level of quality across Pega products.
Our federated group of contributors, enhance the system by submitting proposals for design iteration, by helping to establish system patterns, and by vocalizing the needs of end users and various business stakeholders.
Together, the design Quality group gives credibility to the concept that the Cosmos Design System informs our product design and vice versa.
How to contribute
Any user of the system can submit a proposal for a new component or pattern — either contacting our team directly if you’re external to the company; or through the “Cosmos Design System” WebEx channel if you’re a Pega employee.
To help accelerate consideration of your request, if possible, please provide the following information:
- Verify the component or pattern does not already exist
- Provide competitive research or a vetted user need
- Attach a wireframe or rough idea of the concept
Once the proposal is received by Design Quality, the team of approvers, collaborates, designs, and reviews all proposals based upon the following considerations:
- Is there a wide-enough audience for the idea?
- Have the use cases been confirmed via testing?
- Has this component or pattern taken into account responsiveness and other constraints?
- What are the interactions (mouse, touch, keyboard) for this component or pattern?
- Does the design consider all states of the interaction (ie. hover, focus, active, disable, read-only, success, error, warn, required, loading, no items (empty) — too many items, truncation, localization, accessibility, security restrictions, etc.)?
- Does this component or pattern have the necessary labels and documentation?
- Is this component or pattern able to be developed within Pega?
The team will follow up with the submitter providing the next steps after the review period.
Last updated: Jul 2020