The Pega Product UX Design team, part of Pega’s Product Experience group, empowers teams to deliver software that crushes complexity and supports teams that Build for Change®.
UX Design at Pega embraces a distinctive methodology of design thinking within a design system. These are not abstract concepts -— they are a living methodology for creating best-in-class applications.
We’ve embraced the concept of a scalable, unified design to be used across multiple case management applications. Our solutions are developed from users’ needs and feedback, fundamentally grounded in the theory and practice of design thinking -— the iterative process of software design that starts with user empathy.
That’s why we’ve embraced familiar design concepts that are proven to work.
Our goal is to help our clients get to the next level. Today, we develop tools that empower designers and developers to up-level their organization’s design maturity.
Our solutions provide efficient, easy-to-learn and powerful tools that empower front-end teams to solve higher-level user experience and usability problems for enterprise organizations.
Last updated: Feb 2021
We believe that:
Enterprise software must be designed for performance. Productivity, efficiency and accuracy in business applications cannot be achieved without careful UX design. It’s our mission to drive success in Pega applications via design systems tuned for maximum end-user performance as well as ease of authoring by app developers.
Enterprise software should be easy to learn. We look for ways to re-purpose familiar interactions and UX patterns for enterprise, with the goal of greatly reducing expensive training time.
Application authoring and configuration should be simpler. We empower teams to deliver engaging experiences, instead of configuring complex software. The Pega Platform™ is an enormously powerful system – and with that power, can come complexity. Pega’s goal is to democratize software development, allowing businesspeople to directly configure applications. Our job is to take complex and powerful technology and make it accessible to everyone.
Last updated: Feb 2021
As designers at Pega, we use personas to guide the design and development lifecycle for the Cosmos design system. We recommend that designers working with Cosmos adopt a persona-driven process for their enterprise applications.
A persona is a user archetype or semi-realistic description of the primary users of a product or application by goals, demands, or skillsets of that role. Personas are based on behavioral patterns derived from user research and are often represented as a profile with certain behavioral characteristics.
Why designers deploy personas
Persona-driven design processes get results for many reasons:
- Personas create empathy. By picturing the users of their product, designers can “put themselves in the shoes” of the user and better understand the user’s actual experience.
- Personas shape user understanding. By internalizing who the user is, designers can adopt the user’s mentality – forming solutions designed around the user’s specific situation.
- Personas save design and development time. When the user is predefined, the question of “Who are we designing for?” has a clear answer. Without personas, designers may be creating solutions for the wrong problems, or the wrong people.
- Personas drive decisions. At every stage of the design process, personas are a “check” to test whether a solution is meeting a given need. Personas are targets that drive decision-making at all times during the design or development process, including to:
- Inform which features to implement and prioritize
- Avoid feature creep
- Shape user journeys
- Support design decisions
- Inform Usability Testing efforts
- Guide sales and marketing teams to sourcing potential customers
About Pega’s user personas
Pega’s user personas were created through user research and data collection as well as consulting with subject matter experts in the roles.
Last updated: Mar 2021